This is a simple recording of the windshield wipers from my car (Volvo S60). I attached a DPA 4060 with some putty to the interior glass of my windshield and recorded into my Sony PCM D100. Pretty simple and straightforward. Did some EQ tweaking and it was ready to go!
Here's the recording: Windshield Wipers
I recorded this sound using a Neumann U87 microphone through an Avalon M5 preamp to my Mac. Believe it or not, it's actually just my voice - recorded many times. I did my best to change the pitch and sound of each voice. I think I did over 50 tracks to make the sound. After I recorded several tracks of voice, I would pan each track to a different spot in the stereo spectrum, then mix down to a single stereo track. Then I imported the track in and started all over again until I had the right amount of layering. The trick was to yell words that were unintelligible. If you heard a single track of this you would probably laugh! Lots of mumbo jumbo! Perfect for an angry crowd background ambience!
Here's the recording: Angry Crowd
DPA 4060 Stereo Mounting
I did a bunch of searches online to see how other field recordist were mounting their dpa 4060 in a stereo pair inside a Rode Blimp. I couldn't find a whole lot. So here's what I did. I went down to Lowe's and found a piece of plastic tubing. I think I paid around a $1 for it. I used a hacksaw to saw it off into the length I wanted it and then using some superglue I attached a dpa universal surface mount to each end. I found the tube to be just a little too small in diameter to fit into Rode mic mounts so I used some black electrical tape to fix that. It's super light weight and works great in the blimp. After playing with it, I decided to attach it to my Neumann 81i and that was easy with a plastic cable tie. Adding the Neumann makes the blimp a little heavier but now it's easy and quick to be able to get what I want. I used this set up to record my Ocean, Sea, Beach Ambience.
For this sound I used a Neumann 81i shotgun and ran it into an Avalon M5 preamp and through my RME Fireface 800 to my Mac. I started with breaking celery sticks and realized I needed a little more umph so I went outside and found a few stay twigs on the ground. Using a combination of celery and sticks, the right amount of EQ and compression, I came up with the sound. Sounds like a bone breaking to me!
Here's the recording: Bone Break
Learn more about Mark Teachey, Apple Hill Studios and the sounds/music he produces.